This is a pet project on which I have been working on for quite some time. Earlier, I made the project complex for unnecessary reasons (Experience matters! ) so I sat down once again and tried doing it in a different way this time and seems like I have done it. After the promotion to Malware Response Team, I thought it would be the best time to announce it.
Please find a recording of how this Chrome Extension works out over here - http://recordit.co/dQc7IwEVpf
This is a very basic version of the extension but it does it's job fairly good. As you can see from the recording, it doesn't mess up with your clipboard.
Current Features -
- Canned Speeches need to be added manually.
- The extension does not collect any kind of telemetry data as of now.
- All data which is stored is offline only.
- Ability to export all of the canned speeches so that they can be stored easily.
- Ability to import canned speeches in bulk. Right now, importing a JSON dump in a defined format works. Export of canned speech is made in this format only. This is something which I have been thinking about. Would bulk import of text files work for you guys?
- All data is stored on your system. It doesn't go anywhere.
Features which I have planned -
- I will open source the project once I figure out bits of licensing and all.
- Google cloud sync? Need to look into this.
- Firefox extension :0)
Any other features which you would like to see or have any suggestions?
How To Use?
- Install the extension in Google Chrome.
- In Chrome, navigate to chrome://extensions
- Locate Quickly and click on Options.
- This will open an options dialog where you can insert the name of the canned speech and the content of the canned speech.
- Add the title of the Canned Speech along with content of the Canned Speech and click on Submit button.
- Now, try visiting a website, click on the text box where you would like to paste the canned speech, press
Alt + Shift + S, start typing the name of the canned speech and once you find the canned speech (Navigate using arrow keys), hit Enter to insert the canned speech.
Warning - If you reset your chrome/clear extension data, the canned speeches would be removed. I have few ideas in mind but if you have any, please feel free to say so.
- Kindly report any bugs/feature requests/suggestions over here or via PM.
- Please feel free (I would motivate you) to post this across other forums as well if you think that this is useful and good.
Thanks aomaster for the motivation!